Melbourne the city famous for its winters. You can also call it as the coolest capital and for many, it is one of the hippest city in Australia. Melbourne is beautiful in winters when the weather gets colder, the city is full of life with foods, festivals, art shows, markets and lots more. The cold weather has never really stopped Melburnians from getting out and about, given the changeable and unexpected nature of every other season throughout the year. Melbourne will never disappoint you, as there’s a little something for everyone at any time of the year, you just name it and Melbourne’s got it! In this blog post, we have put together things you can do or places you can visit this winter.
- Take a tour by Trams: The tram service in Melbourne’s CBD has been free since January 2015, so it will be a waste if you do not use this public transport to commute & explore the culinary capital of Australia this winter.
- Melbourne Winter Market: For all the shopaholic, winters is a time for rejoice. The winter months bring market events that will get your blood pumping. Keep yourself warm with a glass of mulled wine and visit the Queen Victoria Winter Night Market, open every Wednesday evening between 5pm – 10pm. The market has everything that you may need, from fresh products to gardening and homewares. It is also a home for variety of independent and emerging clothing, jewelry and furniture designers.
- Visit Mount Buller: Three hours by car from Melbourne CBD will get you to Mount Buller for some snow during winter. Here the temperature can drop to below zero during winter, making it ideal for sports such as skiing, snowboarding and even sled dog tour.
- Activities for Everyone: Melbourne in winter brings no shortage of activities to keep you warm, from flicks and food trucks at Coburg Drive-In Food Truck Festival to curling (think lawn bowls on ice) at Medibank Icehouse, a game of Pacman at Pixel Alley or indoor rock climbing or trampolining at Latitude Melbourne – there’s a rainy day activity for everyone this winter.
- Try out Skiing & Snowboarding: Just try this out at Mount Buller, you can rent most of the gear you need for skiing and snowboarding. All you need is to bring essentials like sunblock, beanie, gloves and googles (sunglasses). As a beginner, you can also take up lessons for snowboarding and skiing.
- Sled Dog Tour: If you are not into extreme sports, take a scenic and relaxing ride on sled dog tour. The huskies are actually adorable and friendly, you will receive a loving and warm welcome by their howling as you walk towards the sled. This was definitely a memorable and once in a lifetime experience for everyone. Just a reminder, to carry your camera so that you have a picture with your new found canine friends.
- Visit the Melbourne Cricket Ground: The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) is the 10th largest stadium in the world, the largest in Australia, the largest stadium for playing cricket and holds the world record for the highest light towers at any sporting venue.
- Head of the Town: Go where the locals go and check out Melbourne’s outer region. The Great Ocean Road is obviously a must do with amazing surf beaches and coast side pubs. Take our tip – hire a campervan and cruise on by the 12 apostles at sunset.
With so many exciting things to do and see in Melbourne’s winter, this city is quite welcoming and warm for everyone. So, what are you waiting for! enjoy this beautiful season of winter to the fullest in the “coolest city” named Melbourne.
323 total views, 2 views today