In management courses, SWOT analysis is conducted to identify where the organisation is lacking and how can it improve further. The concept of SWOT originated from there and is used in nursing as well. Nurses conduct a SWOT analysis either of themselves or of a situation. Nursing assignment help expert will help you with conducting these SWOT analysis in assignments.
I am going to discuss the process of SWOT analysis with respect to the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, popularly known as NACCHO.
1. Identify the stakeholders
The stakeholders are all the people who will be affected by the action of this SWOT analysis. Every person who one way or other is affected by the activity or can affect the activity is a stakeholder.
In preparing the SWOT analysis, the NACCHO says that there are 5 types of stakeholders that you should be aware of -
The internal stakeholders are the ones which are active within the clinical setting and are involved in carrying out the daily activities. For example, the receptionist, the cleaner, etc.
External stakeholders are those who operate outside the clinical setting. For example, the person owning a restaurant near the hospital or the members from a non-profit organisation, etc.
As the name is, the primary stakeholders will be those who are directly influenced by the activity in the department.
Those who are indirectly affected by the decisions are the secondary stakeholders.
Key are those people who play a role in defining the carrying out of the activity.
2. Assessment of values
Once you are done with the stakeholders, you have to conduct an assessment of the values of the organisation. For example, if you are conducting a SWOT analysis of National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, you will find the Vision, Mission and Values as -
Like this, you can assess the values of any organisation that you have chosen. This is through a series of 7 steps that are outlined below -
- Ask the staff if they know the values and what is their understanding about them.
- Check if the vision and purpose of the organisation is clear among the employees.
- Check if the requirements of the work, services, processes and operations are being fulfilled or not.
- See if the employees show respect to the diversity in community leaders.
- Do the actions of the staff show a commitment towards the public health.
- Check if every department is working to improve public health.
- The final step is to review everything that you have written down in the above 6 steps.
3. The Prize - Self Assessment (SWOT Analysis)
This is what a SWOT analysis looks like minus the protruding boxes. For this self assessment, you again have to follow 7 steps. Here are those -
- For a good deal of time, sit and think. Have a pen and paper ready. Think about all the external factors that are affecting the organisation. These external factors will the opportunities and threats of the organisation. Similarly, you have to think of the internal factors which will be the strengths and weaknesses.
- The second step is to focus on the strengths. You need to analyse them and then mention how can you strengthen these strengths.
- Next, you have to focus on the opportunities available. Think about them and identify how can you use each opportunity to capitalise upon them.
- Weaknesses. Nobody likes to talk about the weaknesses but we must. You need to think of all the possible ways through which you can eliminate the weakness and highlight the strengths.
- The last one is threats. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and you have to make sure that these threats does not kill your organisation. Prepare contingencies to resolve the threats.
- Once you have this handy, check if this is enough or not.
- After this check, plan your strategy for the department.
Get answers from My Assignment Services
If you have any concerns regarding SWOT analysis in nursing, you can reach out to our nursing assignment help
experts and get a clear understanding of all these processes and how can you write your assignments about the SWOT analysis in nursing. We are available here
Loved reading this Blog? Share your valuable thoughts in the comment section.Add comment