Are you a nursing student who is looking for ways that can make the person-centred nursing better in the organisation? Do you have to write an assignment that asks you to go into deep lengths about understanding the person-centred nursing framework and then apply it in your real life decision? It seems that you have hit the jackpot.
I was just beginning to start discussing person-centred nursing framework and you have arrived just in time for the lecture.
Take a seat.
Okay, class. Let me begin with what actually is person-centred nursing.
As nurses when we care for a person, we have to take care of the needs of the patients, right? We have to see if the patient is comfortable, is not in pain, is getting everything he/she wants to get better and other things.
So, this type of care where we nurses take into consideration the needs wants, desires and goals of the patients as well are called person-centred care.
Professor, what happens when the needs of the patient conflict with the rules of healthcare professionals?
Excellent question, James. I appreciate it. Really well asked.
So, kids, if you are a nurse where the patient’s needs are not on the same page as the priorities set by the healthcare professionals, you need to take a step back. Keeping a patient’s needs above the rules and regulations above the workplace? No, not possible. Do not inject gallons of morphine to the patient simply because he is in too much pain and you are unable to see his condition.
Professor, I read somewhere that we should form relationships with the patients. Does that mean I start dating my patients?
No, Cynthia. Forming relationships with the patients does not mean that you get involved with them romantically or otherwise. We all have been on the other end of the table at least once in our lives, right? So why do not we close our eyes and look back to the time when we received some kind of nursing care.
See, forming personal relationships with the nurses is unavoidable. We are humans, social animals. We like to interact. And having a person who has got our back in a place surrounded by doctors, medicines and machines, is a good feeling. Also, these personal relationships play a vital role when it comes to offering care to the patient. You will naturally offer the best possible care to the patient we care about.
The relationships formed with the nurses and other care personnel in a healthcare setting is important to the quality of healthcare. This is a necessary factor for the patients and their families.
Professor, so what exactly does the person-centred nursing framework include?
See, if we look back into the past, there are a number of frameworks that were developed by one healthcare professional or other as they deemed fit. But, when we discuss person-centredness, there are a few components that are common to all. This is because no matter how you or I offer person-centred care to a patient, only the course of action will change. The principles upon which our approach is based will be the same.
So, the fundamental components of a person-centred nursing framework are –
- Identifying the patient as an individual. This will allow us to prepare customised care for the patient.
- Be responsive. Do not ignore the needs of the patients. I am not saying to go against the hospital policies but at least make the patient feel that you listened and you are going to do something about it.
- Provide care that is meaningful. Do not simply just get the job done. So something that actually makes an impact in the recovery process of the patient.
- Respecting the needs and values of the patients. For example, if the patient is a vegan, do not force them to eat chicken soup because it will accelerate their recovery. Respect that the patient is a vegan.
- Forming trustworthy relationships. Make the patient realise that you are there for them when the skies fall. You have got their back.
- Promoting physical and emotional comfort. You not only have to say “It’s going to be alright” to the patient, but you also have to make them believe. Offer them comfort by giving physical and emotional support.
Professor, I want to learn more.
I respect your inquisitiveness, Clara. But I am afraid that we must end this class here. I have other classes as well. But if you enjoyed this and want to know more, request a personalised session with me here!
Or if you want help in writing your assignments and want me to take a look and tell you how to write your assignment using a person-centred nursing framework, you can send My Assignment Services your assignment details here. Send them your assignment details and I will get back to you in no time with a 100% original, unique and high-quality assignment solution! Yes.
Know more about My Assignment Services’ nursing assignment help here.