1. Ecological footprint (Global hectares or gha)- 6.5
Carbon footprint (CO2 emission in tonnes per year)- 9.5
2. Since the ecological footprint is the biologically productive area for a single person consumption. It is measured in global hectare or gha. Global hectare can be considered as productive hectare with world average productivity. One hectare is 10,000 sq meters. On this planet, there are 1.7 global hectares available per person. My score is 6.5 global hectares which are quite high (WWF, 2020)
The carbon footprint for me is 9.5. The forest carbon sequestration offset rate required is the number of trees that will consume my CO2 emission. The carbon footprint is 9.5 so that sequestration rate will be W carbon-dioxide = 3.67 * W carbon. Therefore if my carbon footprint is 9.5 then subtract the weight of a single W carbon tree from it.(Ecomatcher, 2020)
3. The major causes of an unsustainable aspect of lifestyle are as follows.
Consumption of non- vegetarian food- The average consumption level of non-veg food is quite high. Hence the more red meat, fish, and poultry one consumes more is the more carbon emission. Focussing on eating more green leafy vegetables and fruits will provide equivalent nutrition and reduce carbon emission.
Usage of Car- Travelling on a car regularly that too individually leads to carbon emission per person to a large extent. Traveling by carpooling or public transport reduces the emission rate of carbon.
More power consumption- The power consumption of my household is quite high since the usage of A.C, refrigerator, washing machines, and other home appliances which consume high electricity. This should be reduced with power-saving mode.
Unwanted cost expenses- Excess purchasing of food, beverages, and apparel made of leather and animal product is the main unsustainable reason for my carbon emission.
4. The potential solution for unsustainable lifestyle in the following areas are-
City- The proper way to live in a city is to share an apartment and reduce the cost of living. As sharing can reduce the water, power, and food expenses, it can also lead to cost saving sustainable living .
Energy- The use of public transport while traveling will save a lot of fuel. Also, the usage of electric vehicles will help in reducing carbon emission. Washing clothes in the laundry and reducing electric appliances utility will help in conserving energy.
Food- Consumption of vegetarian food with plenty of water and stop consumption of red meat. Since the production of red meat requires a lot of water and food grains its consumption also leads to large carbon emission.
Population- Having a nuclear family helps in saving financial costs and also reduces the burden on the country’s economy.
5. I consume chocolates flavoured ice-cream almost regularly. The ice- cream is produced by Baskin- Robbins.
6. For the production of chocolate ice-cream, the raw materials required are milk, cocoa, and sugar. The production of milk itself is the energy consumption process as cow or buffalo are either grain feed or grass-fed. After that production of cocoa requires fertilizers to have improved quality of caffeine. Sugar consumes a huge volume of water and regular consumption of sugar will increase the chances of diabetes.
7. Product lifecycle –
1st stage- Production- Milk production is required in large quantities in ice-cream. Cocoa – (fertilizer used), Sugar is added with preservatives.
2nd stage- Distribution – In ice-cream distribution properly refrigerated containers are used. These containers consume huge power for the refrigeration process and its maintenance cost is quite high.
3rd stage- Consumption- Ice cream consumption depends on an individual’s taste buds. As consumption of ice cream is limited in winters it generally remains unsellable thus unproductive.
4th stage- Disposal – every ice cream has packaging which after use needs to be disposed of. If it has a plastic cup container then it will take time to dispose of.
8. Waste management in the Ice cream manufacturing process- Every leftover ice cream in the production line can be used to produce electricity. The process is known as anaerobic digestion facility, in which by-product is converted to biogas (Mcdowall, 2016). The leftover by-product consists of sugar, fat, and protein and then converted to biomethane.
9. The introduction of milk powder rather than using direct liquid milk for the process of manufacturing ice cream should be initiated. The powder milk will be nutritionally certified and will also reduce water consumption by dairy-based milk supplies. Thus milk powder production time is also less. It will be easily available and will not be challenging while dealing with raw milk. Milk being perishable product and its logistical availability requires high cost. Hence bringing in milk powder will reduce the cost to a large extent.
10. The stakeholders involved with the ice cream firm are
Franchises- They are the key person for Point of sale and the main source of revenue comes from these franchise holders. Shopping malls, stadiums, metro stations, and subways are the main juncture while franchises sell their product. The stakeholders believe that more margins should be allowed by the company so that they have considerable high revenue.
Employees- They are the backbone of the industry. They want more flexible work timings and better safety equipment so that they don’t catch a cold. Every employee requires a clear communication system which will enable them to remain active even during any natural disaster or disease outbreak.
Customer- Baskin Robbins is the most customer-centric ice cream brand when it comes to hygiene and customer service. Customers are provided with disposable napkins, plates, and tables and chairs to sit and enjoy their order.
Legislature and policymakers- Being an integral part of the society require building trust among the stakeholders and to remain a strong customer-centric brand irrespective of a political system that exists in any country. Industrial visits to plants and making them understand about the quality products that Baskin Robbins sells and the nature of business profitability involved for all those who want to join this profession.
11. The major challenge faced by Baskin Robbins right now is climate change. Looking at the corporate part the firm has committed to reduce energy per square foot to 30% by 2025 in corporate facilities and to ensure an increase in efficiency by 13% by 2025. As the company deals in a large refrigeration process, this leads to the generation of CFC, which it wants to reduce requires modern refrigerators with power-saving capacity and less carbon emission (Baskin Robbins, 2015)
12. The major stakeholders of the ice-cream firm are the policymakers. Since policymakers understand the need for the creation of laws that will be used to protect the environment of the country as well as the interest of the workers working in the firm, they have the highest impact on the decision making process in the stakeholder's group. Hence framing of law for better utilization of natural resources and high efficiency shall be the goals that they should set for Baskin Robbins( Baskin Robbins, 2015)
13. The legislature and policymakers look for the development of the area in which the business operates. Hence how much a firm invests in CSR activities and helps in job generation shall be the prime focus which Baskin Robbins will try to convince this group of stakeholders. Hence building trust for long term relationships and enabling sustainable growth shall be the motto of the firm.
14. Yes to some extent the consumption of ice-cream on an everyday basis has been reduced by understanding the raw materials used, the process involved, and the mode in which the product is transported and distributed. After visualizing the need for green environment and sustainable development I can reduce my consumption to a large extent.
WWF. (2020), Report on carbon emission. Retrieved from http://www.wwf.org.au/get-involved/change-the-way-you-live/ecological-footprint-calculator
EcoMatcher. (2020), How to calculate Co2 sequestration. Retrieved from https://www.ecomatcher.com/how-to-calculate-co2-sequestration/
Baskin Robbins. (2015). The Corporate Social responsibility report of BR. Retrieved from https://news.baskinrobbins.com/news?t=CSR
Remember, at the center of any academic work, lies clarity and evidence. Should you need further assistance, do look up to our Global Sustainability Studies Assignment Help
5 Stars to their Experts for my Assignment Assistance.
There experts have good understanding and knowledge of university guidelines. So, its better if you take their Assistance rather than doing the assignments on your own.
What you will benefit from their service -
I saved my Time (which I utilized for my exam studies) & Money, and my grades were HD (better than my last assignments done by me)
What you will lose using this service -
Unfortunately, i had only 36 hours to complete my assignment when I realized that it's better to focus on exams and pass this to some experts, and then I came across this website.
Kudos Guys!Jacob "
Proofreading and Editing$9.00Per Page
Consultation with Expert$35.00Per Hour
Live Session 1-on-1$40.00Per 30 min.